Hello, guest
|
Name: Desperate_In_IA
[ Original Post ]
I have achild in 3rd grade that has ADHD, and he has no drive to learn. He disrupts class, doesn't do his work, and irritates his classmates. He is now 6 months behind everyone else, and I do not know what to do. He also acts extremely immature for his age. PLEASE HELP WITH SOME ADVICE, as I have tried everything and more.
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: jhawkmom | Date: Jan 27th, 2007 1:56 AM
My daughter is 7 and also has ADHD. We asked our school for an evaluation of her academic, psychological, and behavioral status. They did the evaluation, and then she qualified for an IEP (independent education program). She has a para in the classroom to help her, a special ed teacher that pulls her out in the am and pm to work on specific skills she is behind on or struggling with, and an occupational therapist that works with her once a week on motor skills, as well as organization skills. All of the one on one attention has GREATLY helped with the school aspect. My daughter is also very immature for her age, and was disruptive until we sought help from a child psychiatrist that specializes in ADHD. Although I was against meds at first, we have found out that it makes the difference between succeeding in school and staying focused, vs. failing and being disruptive. We constantly have to monitor her progress, and do have to make changes now and then. Just make sure to push the school to do their part- your child is legally entitled. Hope this helps some. 

Name: taybry | Date: Jan 27th, 2007 5:58 PM
My daughter was in third grade last year, also behind and immature for her age. She wasn't disruptive but have extreme trouble with focus and struggled , homework was a nightmare! Very self defeating. She has adhd , we had her tested for a learning disablity etc. then evaluated by several different pyschs. Your son is disruptive probably because its frustration at not being at the same level as the other kids and doesn't know any other way to act. We were told to send her on to 4th grade, but luckly that teacher told us within the first month that she wasn't ready , academticaly or emtionally for 4th. We made the decision to put her back in third again and she is on the daytrana patch which I put on right before school and it comes off after . She has made HUGE strides since then. Last year she was lucky to be making a c- or d average. After we pulled her back and tried the patch she is a A and B student and emtionally she is right on task with the other kids a year younger. She has actually made friends, whereas she never had much in common with kids her own age. I hope this helps you in some way. If you would like to talk , my email is [email protected] 

Name: Timsmom | Date: Feb 25th, 2007 7:12 AM
hi, is your child in any special needs classes? such as, resource classes? I have a 10 yr old son who was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 5. After trying several different drugs (which included adderol and ritalin) he is now on concerta 54 mg. He is in spec ed classes to help with his reading as well as Occupational therapy for his fine motor skills. Check with the school psychologist, they can be very helpful in guidance as well as setting up school class curriculum, also the school counselors have resources as well. Good luck! Alice :) 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us