Hello, guest
|
Name: bethmarie
[ Original Post ]
Hi,ihave a 2 and half year old daughter who has been having seizures fot year and half,been on many meds.Her development is slower than a child of her age and we think she has autism traits,waiting assessment.Her behaviour can be terrible,to the point i dread taking her out!She isnt talking much and doesnt seen to understand the term"no".Very frustrating time as we still havnt got a diagnosis,from a worried mum,marie
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: kat26 | Date: Apr 5th, 2008 5:42 AM
hi, i know how you feel....i sometimes dread taking my 3yr old son in the stores because he always throws tandrums if he doesn't get what he wants. and its real hard because people look at him and think hes just an out of control kid, they don't know that he's autistic.
anyways, best wishes to you and your daughter 

Name: AWOWFEMALE | Date: Apr 9th, 2008 5:45 PM
HELLO 

Name: pauls mam | Date: Apr 11th, 2008 10:12 PM
Hi my son is nearly 6 and we just come back from hol,something I could of only ever of dreamed of. He has a moderate/severe diagnosis, no speech and very limited language understanding. If anyone has msn would love to chat please add me to your list [email protected] 

Name: pauls mam | Date: Apr 11th, 2008 10:35 PM
update my msn is [email protected] sorry the previous one is incorrect. 

Name: pauls mam | Date: Apr 11th, 2008 10:46 PM
Hi bethmarie I an new here too. My son is 5 and one tip i learned was to avoid the word no and replace it with other words like later or this first etc. I wish you all the best and if you do get a diagnosis the EARLYBIRD COURSE is a good start for parents understanding their children. 

Name: pddmom | Date: Apr 18th, 2008 4:17 AM
Also check out special diets for children with seizures. My son has PDD with no seizures, but we also have a family friend who was diagnosed with PDD, and a kinetic diet cleared up her seizures, and her PDD symptoms. It is a tough diet but she is a happy healthy 7 year old now who is on no medication. Good Luck 

Name: kat26 | Date: Apr 18th, 2008 5:35 PM
yes like pauls mom said-avoid the word no-my son gets upset when he hears it too-i say-first and then- and he just figured out what those words meant and boy things are so much better for him and me! 

Name: MommyFaith | Date: Apr 22nd, 2008 9:01 AM
Hi, I am new here as well , I have a 2 year-old and 3 mths old daughter who have been diagnosed with ASD. I think we all go through the same phase where we become very worried and the same time fearful on our child's fate. I think as parents , the more that we overcome these emotions the more that we are able to help our child. As for me I have her start on her therapies (occupational , speech) immediately. We have also set an appointment with a DAN doctor and explore our options..the key here is 'PRAY','DO NOT LOSE HOPE' , 'DO NOT GIVE UP' . Things will get better for all of us ... Goodluck and God Bless Everyone 

Name: momofabeauty | Date: Apr 27th, 2008 1:55 PM
Hi pauls mam sorry to hear this. I have a 6 year old little girl diagnosed with autism and it is very hard! I can't really go any where and I am trying to work through her aggression issues right now if you want to chat email me [email protected]. I am in the states but all my family are in England and it can get really lonely!! momofabeauty. 

Name: Matt | Date: Apr 27th, 2008 5:08 PM
Hi all,

I'm just going to cut/n/ paste a response that I posted to a lady who had a son with Asperger's Syndrome - one of the many guises of Autism. I note that many of you have very young children with Autism, and if I can offer any advice, as someone who actually has Asperger's Syndrome, I would be more than happy to share my experiences and give you an "insiders" view.

Here is the post I made on one of the other boards:

]]]]]]

I'm 27 I live on my own (all my family live on the opposite side of the globe!), and I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was about the same age as your son [14]. There are many different variations of Aspergers, from mild through to severe, and similarly with Autism, at the other end of the spectrum. [I am classed as mild/medium]. Whilst we all share a the same type of "brain wiring"(!), our problems and difficulties can be very varied. It would be helpful to know what issues your son has. If they are similar to mine, then I can tell you exactly what not to do (from personal bad experiences!), and maybe offer some better suggestions of things you can do.

Most of my issues stemmed from bullying at school. My parents thought that it was too late to move me to a different school, but my best friend did (also an Aspergers, and now a Doctor at a London Hospital!) move to a different school. He was no longer bullied, but I was. As a result, he got good grades, I didn't. Thus, find a school which suits your son's [or daughter's] requirements.

Having said that, 13 years on, since my diagnosis, here is what I've accomplished with no external help.

1. Held a record contract (I play piano - Grade 8, but still can't quite get my fingers around Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto!)
2. Qualified as a Sound Engineer
3. Managed hotels and pubs.
4. Spent 2 years as a Company Director
5. Got married
6. Got divourced
7. Should have my Commercial Pilot's Licence by the end of this month
8. Have toured both the UK and Australia, also parts of Canada, as a pianist with a well known BigBand.
9. I'm a member of the Australian Institute of Management, entitled to use the post-nominal "AIMM"
10. As a party piece, I will complete a Rubik's Cube in just under a minute.
11. As a result of all the above, I have been able to spend the last two years on holiday... (thinks: Must be time to do some work again!)

See? It's not all doom and gloom! If I am interested in something, I will see it through. Your son [or daughter] is probably the same. These are the things you need to encourage, some of which may eventually make him [or her] a very rich (not just financially) person.

Generally, a high IQ tends to come as part of the Asperger's "package" - at no added cost! There are so many possibilities for him. If it would help to be able to speak to someone who has Aspergers, I will furnish you with my contact details. I would be happy to give you any help I can with a view from the "inside".

Kindest Regards,

~Matt 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us