Hello, guest
|
Name: melmoney
[ Original Post ]
So last week at my doctor's appointment I was tested for Group B Strep and this week when I went back she told me that I had tested positive for it. Apparently I have to have antibiotics during labor so it doesn't get transmitted to the baby, but that's about all that I know. Does anyone else have any information about this or has anyone had it with previous pregnancies. The doc kept saying that it was nothing to worry about, but I think that's a lot easier said than done... especially when it comes to your baby.
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: jillw | Date: Oct 30th, 2006 9:01 PM
I will look into it, but my friend had it and she said that her dr said that it was sexually transmited. 

Name: melmoney | Date: Oct 30th, 2006 9:02 PM
Hmm... my doctor said nothing about it being sexually transmitted.... 

Name: jillw | Date: Oct 30th, 2006 9:06 PM
ok so I just looked it up and my friend is retarted. It says that it is not an STD and is common. I don't know why her dr told her that. I will have to call and let her know. here is the info I foundWhat are the risks of taking antibiotics to prevent group B strep disease in my newborn?
Penicillin is the most common antibiotic that is given. If you are allergic to penicillin, there are other antibiotics that can be given. Penicillin is very safe and effective at preventing group B strep disease in newborns. There can be side effects from penicillin for the woman, including a mild reaction to penicillin (about a 10% chance). There is a rare chance (about 1 in 10,000) of the mother having a severe allergic reaction that requires emergency treatment.
However, a pregnant woman who is a group B strep carrier (tested positive) at full-term delivery who gets antibiotics can feel confident knowing that she has only a 1 in 4000 chance of delivering a baby with group B strep disease. If a pregnant woman who is a group B strep carrier does not get antibiotics at the time of delivery, her baby has a 1 in 200 chance of developing group B strep disease.

Sponsored Links
Group B Strep Culture
Find out detailed info & resources Group B Strep Culture
dbmoz.biz/3/group-culture

Antibiotics Questions?
Read about antibiotics side-effects risk factors, uses, and more.
www.healthline.com

New: Xpert GBS Rapid Test
First Rapid GBS Test to Fully Meet CDC Criteria for Intrapartum Use.
www.cepheid.com/gbs
This means that those infants whose mothers are group B strep carriers and do not get antibiotics have over 20 times the risk of developing disease than those who do receive treatment.
Can group B strep cause stillbirth, pre-term delivery, or miscarriage?
There are many different factors that lead to stillbirth, pre-term delivery, or miscarriage. Most of the time, the cause is not known. Group B strep can cause some stillbirths, and pre-term babies are at greater risk of group B strep infections. However, the relationship between group B strep and premature babies is not always clear.
Do people who are group B strep carriers feel sick?
Many people carry group B strep in their bodies, but they do not become sick or have any symptoms. Adults can have group B strep in the bowel, vagina, bladder, or throat. About 25% of pregnant women carry group B strep in the rectum or vagina. A person who is a ‘carrier’ has the bacteria in her body but may not feel sick. However, her baby may come into contact with group B strep during birth. Group B strep bacteria may come and go in people’s bodies without symptoms. A person does not have to be a carrier all of her life.
How does someone get group B strep?
The bacteria that cause group B strep disease normally live in the intestine, vagina, or rectal areas.
Group B strep colonization is not a sexually transmitted disease (STD). Approximately 25% (1 in 4) of pregnant women carry group B strep bacteria in their vagina or rectum. For most women there are no symptoms of carrying group B strep bacteria.

Will group B strep go away with antibiotics?
Antibiotics that are given when labor starts help to greatly reduce the number of group B strep bacteria present during labor. This reduces the chances of the newborn becoming exposed and infected.
However, for women who are group B strep carriers, antibiotics before labor starts are not a good way to get rid of group B strep bacteria. Since they naturally live in the gastrointestinal tract (guts), the bacteria can come back after antibiotics. A woman may test positive at certain times and not at others. That’s why it’s important for all pregnant women to be tested for group B strep carriage between 35 to 37 weeks of every pregnancy. Talk to your doctor or nurse about the best way to prevent group B strep disease, or review the revised group B strep guidelines to learn more.

Is there a vaccine for group B strep?
There is not a vaccine right now to prevent group B strep. The federal government is supporting research on a vaccine for the prevention of group B strep disease. 

Name: daisyusa | Date: Oct 30th, 2006 9:10 PM
I came up positive for my last baby as well and was told I would be treated the same for the next. You really don't have anything to worry about, my baby is fine. They did make us stay for 2 full days before they would allow us to go home and I was fine with that. It was nice to get that extra care even though my baby never spent any time away from my room, only for his checkups. So don't worry, your baby will be fine! 

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Oct 30th, 2006 9:17 PM
You must have the antibiotics when you're in labour. I had it in my first pregnancy and my baby had some breathing problems when he was born and needed IV antibiotics for a week following delivery. He was okay, but it's something that you want to avoid if at all possible.

With my second pregnancy I opted for another C-section in order to make sure that the baby was okay. 

Name: melmoney | Date: Oct 30th, 2006 9:28 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. It's really good to hear that your babies ended up just fine. For some reason hearing that news from the doctor today just freaked me out and I got really really upset. Even though she said it wasn't going to be anything to worry about, it just seems like everything is coming up so soon and I'm starting to freak out and get nervous about it all and then this Group B strep thing on top of all of it. I just kinda snapped and freaked. 

Name: daisyusa | Date: Oct 30th, 2006 11:10 PM
Nothing wrong with your reaction. I was a complete ball of tears when my doctor told me I had gestational diabetes. In the end, I did what I needed to do and Ethanael is fine.

Give your worries to God and He will carry them for you. 

Name: melmoney | Date: Oct 30th, 2006 11:45 PM
Thanks daisy. I guess it just made me feel like I did something wrong, but the more I read about it the more I realize that it wasn't anything that I could have prevented. It was just this horrible initial feeling that my baby could get hurt or sick and it would be all my fault. 

Name: Tariece | Date: Oct 31st, 2006 1:43 AM
It is not sexuallly transmited, call and talk to your doctor who will tell you it's not. 

Name: julie23 | Date: Oct 31st, 2006 2:29 AM
I am also posititive for gbs... what they did for me was when I went into labor they hooked me up to an IV with antibiotics in it. as long as you take the antibiotics the baby has a very slim chance of gettin it. 

Name: julie23 | Date: Oct 31st, 2006 2:37 AM
and it's absolutly not an STD, it's nothing that will make you sick... its the same type of infetion as strep throat... just in a different place. 

Name: ambernkenny | Date: Nov 1st, 2006 8:45 PM
hey mel,
its nothing to worry about,i tested positive for it also before i had my son last month,its just a bacteria that some women carry,adn others dont...its not harmful to you,but it COULD be harmful to your baby during delivery so to be on the safe side they administier antibiotics thru your IV when you go into labor,and throughout delivery...nothing to really worry about tho,been there done that lol 

Name: a.philo_3ks | Date: Nov 1st, 2006 8:46 PM
THEY JUST GIVE MEDICATION TO MAKE SURE THE BABY DOESNT GET IT I TEST FOR IT WITH MY 2ND ONE. IT WILL BE FINE 

Name: melmoney | Date: Nov 1st, 2006 8:51 PM
Thanks guys. I really freaked when I first found out just because it was so new and not something I had ever heard of before so it was scary. But I had myself a good cry over it and looked it up online and heard all the positive things from you all and now I'm feeling lots better about the whole situation. 

Name: Sarah M | Date: Nov 2nd, 2006 5:00 AM
I tested positive with this last pregnancy and I had the antibiotics but only had half the dose and my son is perfectly fine. If you dont get all in before you give birth they just keep you guys for 48hrs to do a culture test on the babies blood. Most of the time it doesnt even harm the baby but they give the antibiotics just incase. I tested negative with my daughter 2 1/2yrs ago and positive with my lil guy who is 18 days old I wouldnt worry just get to the doc when you feel you need to and they will give it to ya when you get admitted. Like I said i only had half the dose and my lil guy is perfectly fine. good luck 

Name: Marlene | Date: Nov 2nd, 2006 5:19 PM
i ask the nurse at my last appt she said it was a skin rash what the hell does anybody know what it really is 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us