Hello, guest
|
Name: lacirrom
[ Original Post ]
cole is is getting ready to turn 10 months old. when i weaned my daughter i started at 11 months and had her weaned completely when she she turned one. i'm wondering if it would be a big deal to wean cole a month early and have him weaned when he is 11 months instead of 12. any ideas?
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: DRB | Date: Jun 22nd, 2008 3:21 PM
i dont see why that would be a problem 

Name: Joeys_Mam | Date: Jun 22nd, 2008 4:12 PM
If you think he's ready, I don't see why not.

I've been reducing Joey's formula intake since he was around 6 months. He's now 9 months, and on 21oz a day (3 7oz bottles) as well as his 3 pureed meals.

My plan is have him down at 7oz a day by the time he's one year. I was still gonna give him a night bottle till he's 2. 

Name: lacirrom | Date: Jun 22nd, 2008 4:43 PM
well i'm just soooo freakin' tired all the time and i know that part is that i have 3 kid 4 and under but i know part of it has to be that for the past 5 years i've either been pregnant or nursing the entire time and i'm just ready to be done! and he really seems to enjoy the cows milk and sippy cups 

Name: Joeys_Mam | Date: Jun 22nd, 2008 6:04 PM
Yeah, it's different for you as you're breastfeeding. I don't see how one month is going to make any difference. As long as it's whole cows' milk, it'll be good. :)

So no more babies then? 

Name: Marti | Date: Jun 22nd, 2008 6:20 PM
Ian was weaned off the breast at 10 1/2 months old. He was ready and did fine. 

Name: lacirrom | Date: Jun 22nd, 2008 7:58 PM
no more babies...atleast not for a VERY long time...like 10 or so years 

Name: zoey9810 | Date: Jun 22nd, 2008 8:18 PM
Your gonna still give Joey bottles till hes 2?? what for? 

Name: NIKKIS | Date: Jun 23rd, 2008 3:35 AM
i say take the boob away anytime you are ready to. and go straight to cup. just use breast milk or formula until 12 months and then switch to whole milk exclusively after that. toddlers only need 16 ozs of whole milk a day. i took Brooke's bottle away 4 days after her birthday and it was no big deal. we are having no problems at all and she is completely on whole milk as well. good luck! make sure you are balancing his diet with other foods if you do wean him completely to whole milk before 12 months. 

Name: ..RoSey.. | Date: Jun 23rd, 2008 4:42 AM
lol its funny how you are all talking about weaning your babies off bottles..
but where i live its the total opposite.. izzy is STILL having 3 bottles a day.. and that is what is recommended here until about a year and a half.. if not LONGER than that. 

Name: ..RoSey.. | Date: Jun 23rd, 2008 4:44 AM
izzy still NEEDS 3 bottles a day.. i wouldnt even dream of taking her off bottles yet lol.. 

Name: Joeys_Mam | Date: Jun 23rd, 2008 9:18 AM
I'm going to give him a night bottle till he's 2. You can buy 'Progress' milk which is loaded with vitamins and minerals and give it to your baby from 12-24 months. 

Name: Joeys_Mam | Date: Jun 23rd, 2008 9:32 AM
Well exactly. Different countries have different recommendations. Bearing in mind some mothers breastfeed for the first 2 years, babies here are normally offered the 'Progress' formula to complement the weaning process. 

Name: Lola | Date: Jun 23rd, 2008 10:51 AM
Yeah I think it's fine to start weaning from the bottle now. I mean, it's only the last two weeks really that I've had a bit of a brainwave. Just got so fed up of getting out of bed 4 and 5 times a night to give Mia milk. And put up with her fussing through every meal. So I just decided enough was enough, no more night feeds and it's been going great! She's a whole new little woman! To think I was enabling her haha. No more fussing through every meal, sleeping like a dream with the odd sup of water. And I agree with Jill, I'll be keeping the bedtime bottle. It's just a comfort thing fer me 

Name: LindsayK | Date: Jun 23rd, 2008 12:38 PM
I can see that you've had enough nursing, after three children (Good for you btw, that's awesome!) But really what's one more month? The reccomendation is for babies to be on formula or breastmilk for the first year, so it's probably best to try and follow that if you can. You've obviously had more nursing experience than me, I've only gone through one nursing babe so far (I did nurse her for 17 months though, I agree with extended nursing), so the ultimate decision needs to be what you think is best. It just bothers me when some parents rush their children to milestones like weaning too early. My best friend drove me crazy with her son b/c she gave him cereal at 2 months old, and weaned him off formula at 8 months and only would give him 2% milk, never whole milk. She thought he was a little pudgy, he wasn't and it drove me nuts! Anyway, you're situation is nothing like that, but in my humble opinion I think you should try and wait till he's a year. 

Name: ..RoSey.. | Date: Jun 23rd, 2008 8:10 PM
yeh i dont really see what the mad rush is lol... What happened to thinking of the BABIES needs instead of your own... I just find it nuts! 

Name: ..RoSey.. | Date: Jun 23rd, 2008 8:11 PM
Whether getting up once a night.. or 10 times a night... you all knew before you had a baby thats what ur job is lol.. its all about being a mummy. 

Name: Lola | Date: Jun 24th, 2008 9:42 AM
Obviously there comes a time when that's no longer necessary. I don't expect to be bringing juice to Mia in the middle of the night when she's 18 years old 

Name: ..RoSey.. | Date: Jun 24th, 2008 9:59 AM
i wasnt talking about that far along lola... obviously at 18 they are not BABIES anymore.. im talking about 1 - 2 year old infants.. 

Name: Joeys_Mam | Date: Jun 24th, 2008 11:24 AM
Running to your baby just because they're crying can make them spoilt though. I'm convinced Joey is spoilt. Last week he cried during the night, and I came along and picked him up and every night since hes been waking up more and more during the night when he used to sleep through, giggling and laughing when I pick him up, crying when I put him down. Now that I'm not home (work) till 3am 3 nights a week I don't appreciate being woken up at 4.30am and again at 6am when there's evidently nothing wrong with Joey. The child is KILLING ME! !!! I need supernanny. 

Name: zoey9810 | Date: Jun 24th, 2008 12:49 PM
Tyler is off bottles and was taken off a few weeks after his birthday, but he is still on Formula, You can give your babies milk still , but i just dont get why in a bottle?? why not try a Sippy cup? It only took Tyler 2 days to be transformed from a Bottle to a sippy cup, hes a champ now and i dont think a bottle is a comfort thing, because either way, all they want is their milk... 

Name: zoey9810 | Date: Jun 24th, 2008 12:50 PM
LOL ohh and every time Tyler is crying, i have to get up and go to his room to check and make sure his leg isnt stuck in the stupid crib!!!!!!!!! its soo annoying!!!! and he crys because it hurts but he keeps doing it... and i think it might partly be for attention when he doesn't want to go to sleep right away!! ugh!!!! lol so Gill just wait it gets better hahaha LOL just kidding 

Name: Joeys_Mam | Date: Jun 25th, 2008 4:13 PM
Ah I just said 'bottle' because that's what he's on now. Yes he'll be getting a sippy cup (we call them beakers) from 1 year onwards. I'm trying to get him used to taking them, but he just teeths on the beaker.

Joey is also forever getting his leg stuck and then crying. They don't seem to learn do they! 

Name: zoey9810 | Date: Jun 25th, 2008 7:04 PM
LOL today he had both legs out and was just sitting there crying... lol it was kinda funny though i should of taken a picture! 

Name: DRB | Date: Jun 25th, 2008 11:30 PM
lol beaker..lol

but yeah i think the bottle is comforting because of the sucking motion that they do with bottles...they dont do the same sucking motion with sippy cups...i guess it the same thing as pacifiers.

gabs only gets 1-2 bottles a day and she only gets formula with bottles...otherwise its milk or water in sippy cups..i dont give her juice because i am afraid of tooth rotten juice addict baby....she's addicted to sweet tea because of my dad..lol..but she gets enough fruit with meals so she doesnt need the juice really 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us