Hello, guest
|
Name: Lizzi
[ Original Post ]
My son informed me that for next school year he will be needing a calculator that costs $120!!!! I was like,WHAT!? And he says yes it's true! I was like,well,thats gonna cut into your school clothes budget then! Why in the world do they need a $120 calculator anyway,does anyone know? I think that's insane!
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: rain | Date: Aug 28th, 2006 7:11 PM
Yep! They will have to have it. A regular calculator will not do what the scientific ones are used for. It is a shock, but they will need it for the sat's later on and college. Lizzi, did you ever see the sat post's I left here. I recommend a site, to prepare your kids for the sat. It is the official site from the official sat people. I think it is around $60. I highly recommend that mothers of teens start early, and sign up. They can do a practice test, and then study online, to prepare them for the real thing. You get access for three months I think. The higher the scores, the less money for school. The earlier the better. 

Name: rain | Date: Aug 28th, 2006 7:12 PM
http://www.collegeboard.com/splash
Dear Mom’s with teens, and teens themselves
This is the official sat web-site. They offer a free sat test that the students can take online to help them prepare for the real thing. They also offer a sat online course, the cost is $69.95. I want to recommend this to all parents of teen’s. I believe you get two or three months access for the $69.95. For those who think the cost is too much. I called several schools who taught sat classes. They are around the $800 dollar range. This will help give you an idea of how well your child will do, and help you boost the scores. Remember the higher the score, the less money you pay for college. You may find cheaper places online, but this site is connected to the people who give your kids the real sat. This is where you sign up for the real test. I wish I had known about this years ago. If I were you, I would start my kids on this as early as possible. = 

Name: Lizzi | Date: Aug 28th, 2006 7:42 PM
Thank-you rain for the info.! 

Name: bladerunnerx16 | Date: Aug 28th, 2006 10:49 PM
you might get one cheaper from ebay but be careful. 

Name: babey_g_311 | Date: Aug 30th, 2006 1:47 AM
probably a graphing calculator......I have to get one for my college algebra.....I dont see the point it really sucks.... 

Name: Lizzi | Date: Aug 30th, 2006 1:39 PM
Yeah,my sons in geometry right now and just loves it! I swear I don't know where he gets his smarts from,I myself could barely get fractions and that was my mathmatical limit!lol! Oh well,I'm just greatful he doesn't struggle in school like I did,maybe he will end up with a better life for it!? 

Name: Layne | Date: Aug 30th, 2006 9:55 PM
I was thinking you could find that calculator cheaper now. Ive seen some at wal-mart for 20 to 30 bucks. Maybe Im wrong but check there first. 

Name: lindalu | Date: Aug 31st, 2006 1:00 AM
Babey-g-311 you are so write it is a graphine caculator, they can be a bit more costly than the scientific calculator. 

Name: Lizzi | Date: Aug 31st, 2006 10:40 PM
He has the $20 scientific calculator already which I even thought that was ridiculous but the $120 one is a different kind. What next?! 

Name: spankyx0711 | Date: Sep 1st, 2006 5:31 AM
haha i remember when i told MY mom that I needed that calculator. she made me pay for it though. the instruction manual for it is about two inches thick and it only comes in english. that's probably where $20 goes, is to the cost of the instruction booklet lol.

to be honest, i never really used it. they only make you use it to give you a visual of what an equation looks like when its graphed. it did come in handy on one particular test for me though. i'd buy it for him, only because he'll continue to use it through his high school career and even in college. but make sure he has a scientific one as well. 

Name: Lizzi | Date: Sep 1st, 2006 3:19 PM
Thank-you spankyx0711 

Name: Ari | Date: Sep 3rd, 2006 6:21 AM
It can't be a scientific calculator; those only cost around $20. Graphing calculators, on the other hand, DO cost that much. They are required for the advanced math classes, including precalculus and beyond. Also, college courses including beginning algebra will require students to have one.

Before you buy one, verify that it's a necessity with the teacher. It could just be that it's a 'nice' thing to have for his class, but not required. I know a number of teenagers who got their parents to buy them graphing calculators just so they could use them to cheat on tests and play games during class. 

Name: Lizzi | Date: Sep 5th, 2006 2:58 PM
Ahh...thanks for the heads up Ari! 

Name: Layne | Date: Sep 6th, 2006 3:19 AM
Wow Lizzy isnt it amazing what we find out on this forum. Kids are gonna hate this idea. LOL! 

Name: lindalu | Date: Sep 6th, 2006 3:45 AM
I am so glad my daughter didnt need that! I was cringing about the cost of books. She was an art major so I had to pay hundreds of dollars towards art supplys. School is expensive! never mind having to pay for books and supplys to. 

Name: Lizzi | Date: Sep 8th, 2006 3:29 PM
Yeah,I'm so glad I decided to only have one with the cost of everything being so high anymore! He's got 2 years of highschool left(after this year) and then he's going to have to start paying for everything on his own,though he can live at home as long as he wants,well within reason lol!! 

Name: Lizzi | Date: Sep 8th, 2006 3:31 PM
I'm hoping by age 21 he can venture out on his own! 

Name: lindalu | Date: Sep 10th, 2006 4:23 PM
Lizzi I have just one kid too, She is almost 21 and in her 3rd year of collage. It does make it much easier and more affordable when you only have one, besides the cost of tuition gets higher every year. My child is a girl so if she decides to marry that will be another expence that my husband and I wil have to fork out, I hope if she does decide to marry she elopes lol! 

Name: Lizzi | Date: Sep 10th, 2006 10:20 PM
lindalu,my husband and I got married in the courthouse so if my son ever wants to marry,I hope he either marries someone who comes from money so she can have the big wedding she wants,or I hope he marries someone very simple who won't mind the courthouse and cheap festivities like a backyard BBQ as their reception! I think unless you're wealthy it's nuts to spend thousands on a wedding. I instead think the money would best be served as a downpayment on a house,(IF one was thinking of spending thousands for a wedding!) 

Name: granny2be | Date: Sep 17th, 2006 9:36 AM
My daughter had to have one in 9th grade. The school should have the resources to help you get one free or very very cheap. 

Name: irina | Date: Sep 30th, 2006 9:27 PM
you can rent this calculator from school for $15.00 a year, but if it would be stolen you will pay double 240.00 to replace it. Check this out in his school. 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us