Hello, guest
|
Name: rowe_leah
[ Original Post ]
I have a maltese terrier and she has just turned 14(human years)I have had her since she was a pup.she has really bad teeth and its stopping her eating.she yelps even with soft food.she is loosing weight and her breath smells really bad.she just looks really sad.i dont like seeing her like this but I dont know If I could handle getting her put down.Iam 35 weeks pregnant with my first and she has been there for me all the time.the vet wont really do anything because she is so old and if they could it would cost thousands.What do I do?
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: atomic snowflake | Date: Sep 20th, 2006 12:13 PM
It would probably be kinder to have her put to sleep. It's not fair to watch her suffer in this way and she's probably coming to the end of her life and is fed up. Death is part of owning a pet - comfort yourself with the thought that you've given her a good life and it's now time to say goodbye.

If the teeth aren't treated then she'll continue to lose weight and will eventually succumb to further illness which will only increase her suffering. Her teeth are obviously hurting her. It's unreasonable to spend thousands on some kind of treatment. 

Name: lindalu | Date: Sep 20th, 2006 1:17 PM
atomic snowflake is correct in what she said, I agree 100%! Have the old girl put to sleep. Have you ever had a tooth ach? well im told they are very painfull! so if you cant afford to have her teeth removed, ya have her uthenized! 

Name: zuhaib karim | Date: Oct 2nd, 2006 5:10 PM
kill me i wana die 

Name: rowe_leah | Date: Oct 4th, 2006 10:07 AM
yous will be happy to know that after 2 vet visits she is fine.they took 12 teeth out and she is a very happy dog now.they said there is no reason why she wont live comfortably for another 2 or more years.she has good eyes and no arthritas and apart from her teeth she was a very healthy dog and now that her teeth are fixed she will be right.she will be eating very expensive mushy dog food from now on,she is very fussy.Iam so glad she is ok.it did cost a bit but shes worth it.I cant wait for her to meet her little brother.any day now.. 

Name: lindalu | Date: Oct 4th, 2006 2:12 PM
The vet could do something for crist sakes! it only her teeth. All they need to do is remove the ones that are bothering her. Ask the vet if you can make payments, many vets will allow that. I do understand she is old but she could live for another 4-5 years. If it is just the money and it is more than you can or are willing to spend! then yes, have her put down. It sound like she has been suffering already to long, I would suggest you do something soon! I hope it all works out for your little dog. 

Name: lindalu | Date: Oct 4th, 2006 2:20 PM
Im sorry! I listed befor I read the thread. I am so happy to hear that! See she can handel a few missing teeth, and still have a normal active life. That is so great you donnt even know how thrilled I am to hear you say that. I know you probably think Im nuts going on about a dog I dont even know! The thing is, is that I love animals and when I see a post like yours where something can be done and the owner is talking about uthanasia it really sadens me. So when I read that you had the teeth removed it excited me to know he will be able to loive an even longer life. You made the right choice you really should be proud! Good luck with the little cutie! 

Name: rowe_leah | Date: Oct 4th, 2006 8:23 PM
the vet was worried that she wouldnt wake up from the op becasue of her age but they just used a milder dose on her.shes fine today shes a happier dog already.I love my dog so much and I cant believe I even thought about getting her put to sleep.she is my little baby. 

Name: lindalu | Date: Oct 4th, 2006 9:12 PM
Rowe_leah
You was only thinking of her best intres. Thats all in the past and you still have her to love, of cours she will have to eat more soft food now that most of her teeth are gone. But you know she doesnt know the diffrence! and Im sure she wont mind the soft food, moat dogs would prefer soft over hard anyway. Thats great news I am happy for you! Enjoy her. 

Name: Hiddy | Date: Oct 15th, 2006 12:46 AM
Advising to have a 14 year old dog put down, just because she has a tooth problem?
I wasnt surprised that rowe_leah took her to the vet and the vet fixed it, quiet easily. The truth is that vets charge like crazy for dental work, if they are put under anesthetics to get teeth removed, its also a good idea to at that time have their teeth scaled and gums gently cleaned and mouth generally checked out. The cost of the anesthetic and teeth removal is where the cost comes in. Its better if you can get it all done in one visit.

Raw chicken wings are great for their teeth, never give a dog cooked bones, no matter how big the bone is.

Also I can never understand the cost in extracting teeth, because a lot of the time when a dog has a tooth needing removal, they practically fall out by themselves without too much hard work from the vet

Thank you
Hiddy 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us