Hello, guest
|
Name: briseis
[ Original Post ]
People say grandparents play an important role in the raising of their grandchildren ... How much of this is true in your experience?

In my own experience, grandparents have played no role in Joey's care. His paternal grandfather has passed away and his paternal grandmother refuses to see him, as she hates me. His maternal grandparents never visit, and only see him once a month when we visit them for a few hours. Noone has even changed Joey's nappy except Mark and myself! And yet Joey is so far a happy and content baby. So as far as I'm concerned, grandparents are of no importance.
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: homemommichele | Date: Feb 18th, 2008 1:28 PM
My dh's Mom and Dad were elderly, so as much as I wish I could have them around, they are not. My Dad passed away last year, and as they lived far away he only got to meet my oldest son once. My Mom is psychotic and I would rather her have as little influence as possible. I had a very good relationship with my paternal grandparents, and wish it could have been so for my kids, but it is not to be. 

Name: bmes | Date: Feb 18th, 2008 2:27 PM
i think they play an important role. my mom isn't around too much, but she loves to see them....my dad is pretty busy with work, but when we go see him, he drops everything he's doing, and it's like there's nobody else in the world except him and my kids....same with hubby's parents....and even my great grandparents....they love to be with my kids....

bris....it may not seem important now, but i think when Joey gets older he's going to want to know them.

there's something there in Anika that just lights up when she sees her grandparents, that you just don't see regularily....it's amazing...i don't know what the heck it is, but there's a love and a bond there between them that i think is just so wonderful. 

Name: briseis | Date: Feb 18th, 2008 2:38 PM
Oh absolutely. We're moving to Derry (where my entire family live) to be close to them, so that Joey can enjoy a good relationship with his extended family on my side. And I hope my parents will love Joey as much as they love my sister's son, who lives with them.

As for Mark's family, there is nothing I can do about that, other than explain to Joey that it isn't his fault that his dad's family don't want to know him. 

Name: bebe9281 | Date: Feb 18th, 2008 3:00 PM
My husband's parents are fabulous with my kids. They do lots of great things with them and for them HOWEVER I do not think that they are really contributing much in the way of actually "raising" them. But yes they are important. My mother on the other hand, oh never mind..... 

Name: cherisalorraine | Date: Feb 18th, 2008 3:50 PM
My children have artificial grandparents! They help out a lot. When my oldest was little(she is only six now )we had no one but the people who were not truly family. With Annlynn on the other hand my dad plays a big role in her life but her father passed away when she was twelve weeks old. I think that children can be raised with or without grandparents and be happy and healthy but they tend to miss some of the good things that grandparents can do like allowing a little extra time to be a kid. I also think it is good for the grandparents! 

Name: Lizzi | Date: Feb 18th, 2008 8:12 PM
Thay CAN play an important role in their lives IF they CHOOSE to. My husbands mom has chosen NOT to which is HER LOSS. My mom on the other hand has ALWAYS been involved in my sons life and cared about knowing him as a person and about about his likes and dislikes and showed interest in things that meant something to him which is what a GOOD grandparent DOES. 

Name: bebe9281 | Date: Feb 18th, 2008 8:50 PM
My in laws would die if they didn't get to see the kids several times a year. My mother on the other had has only ever seen my children twice. Two years ago and two months ago for one day. She chose to be selfish, oh well... Her loss, I couldn't agree more Lizzi. 

Name: lindalu | Date: Feb 18th, 2008 10:53 PM
I do believe it all depends on the family and the grand parents. My daughter was greatly influenced in the most positive ways by her grand mother. So for me and mine I would have to say yes they do play an important role. 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us