Hello, guest
|
Name: briseis
[ Original Post ]
A MALE friend of Mark's was telling me 'Women forget the pain of childbirth, that's how they're ok to go on and have more children'. I could have slapped him.

I don't forget the agony at all! It was 11 hours of brutal torture without pain relief (I refuse to classify gas and air as pain relief cause it did nothing for me) And I'll never forget the agony I was in.

To women who've been through labour, what do you think? Have you forgotten?
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: Emma2 | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 1:33 PM
this is a hard one, because i also had no pain relief -- not even a tylenol -- and i KNOW that it was the most painful thing i've ever experienced...i know it lasted for hours and hours and hours and i was seriously hoping i'd just pass out from the pain because i didn't think i could take it anymore, but it IS almost like i've forgotten...but then if i think about it really hard i start to remember the way that pain made me feel and then it all comes back to me... hrrmmm...i'm sure that made no sense to anyone but oh well. 

Name: cherisalorraine | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 1:49 PM
I am just glad that my labor only lasted about an hour than they stopped it with the lovely drugs and that was my second baby never had labor with the first one. I couldn't feel the birth I was asleep the first time and I was numb from the throat down with the second one. What I will never forget is only taking Ibuprofen after each of them. I couldn't get around at all. I think that being cut in half is something you never forget. But the birth and labor I can't help you with. 

Name: bmes | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 2:47 PM
lol....well i was in labor for 31 hours without any meds, but didn't give birth...after all that i had to have a csec. then with my second it was just a csec....but i think your friend has a point on SOME level.

if i could actually FEEL the pain a went through again, I would NEVER do it again EVER.....and the healing process after having a csec....but it's kind of a distant memory now.....AND also the memory of being pregnant....i forgot how it all was about a month after Anika was born....and started thinking...yeah i miss it....then when i got pregnant with Lex, i remembered "oh yeah!!! this is why it sucks ass!!!" lol....so yeah....i think your body and mind in some way, try to block it out after it's over. 

Name: Dawn C. | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 3:08 PM
Slap him a good one for me too briseis LOL! I love how this man even has an opinion on giving birth : / Maybe you should take his ahem, manly parts, and squeeze them over and over in a vice for...let's be generous here girls and just say about 4 hours or so...THEN tell him to push out a freaking grapefruit through his above mentioned manly parts. I'll even volunteer to be his birthing coach lol.

My son is 20 years old and I have still not forgotten one bit of that experience. IMO...we do not forget the pain...we just choose to endure it again for the gift of having another child to love. 

Name: homemommichele | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 3:17 PM
I never had labor in my life because I had two scheduled sections, and during the deliveries of course I did not feel it. However the soreness afterwards I do remember, it was worse after the second, esp when breastfeeding. However I would do it again in a minute and they do give great meds after!! :) 

Name: briseis | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 3:30 PM
Dawn, Brilliant!!! I totally agree. Women have a greater capacity to endure pain than men do. I mean I ... accidentally ;) ... kneed Mark in the balls the other day (to be honest it was a light tap) and he was reeling in pain. Unable to stand for a couple of minutes. Get over it!

And yep women choose to go through it to have children. It's not that we forget, it's just that we're braver and stronger than men when it comes to pain.

If men had to do the pregnancy and birth part, I am confident that the human race would cease to exist! 

Name: homemommichele | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 3:36 PM
I had read somewhere, don't remember where, but this is true, that men could not live through the pain required to continue the human race in childbirth, it would kill them. And they call US the weaker sex?????? 

Name: briseis | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 3:52 PM
Obviously we're weaker physically, but we're stronger mentally AND we have the ability to endure extreme pain. We're also more efficient, able to multi task. We'd do fine without men, but men couldn't cope without women - Fact! 

Name: homemommichele | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 4:05 PM
Amen!!
My version of Adam and Eve...based on experience and observation. The bible states that Adam was lonely, so asked God for a mate. NO...he was partying it up..it was Eden, he was having the bachelor life supreme!! God looked down and realized that if he did not do something quick, this creation would self destruct within No time!! As he had forgotten to give enough Common Sense!! So he made women to take care of men to prevent man from self destruction. 

Name: homemommichele | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 4:06 PM
Of course then we did get to be the temptress....LOL!! :) 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 4:19 PM
lol.......adam was created first as a rough draft for perfection........women!!! 

Name: bmes | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 5:30 PM
ok.....the google whore that I am....did I little reading....and from what it looks like to me, is that Oxytocin plays a BIG role in this.

and before you say anything...this was written by a FEMALE doctor:

It's instinctive for most parents to hold, cuddle and snuggle their young to communicate love, safety and security. That's not accidental. The attachment bonds formed in infancy between parent and child are essential to a child's growth and development. These powerful bonds help explain why, after dozens of diapers, hundreds of sleepless nights, thousands of drippy noses, parents keep coming back for more. We give up our time, energy and social lives to do everything necessary to take care of our young.

Scientists believe it may all be based on a chemical.

Oxytocin is a hormone in the brain that may play a primary role in attachment. It is released during breastfeeding, helping to facilitate milk let-down, but also encouraging the mom-and-baby bond. The more gentle, loving touches that occur between parents and babies, the more oxytocin is released in both parents and child. And the neural pathways that develop based on these early touches set the stage for how we will relate to touch and intimate relationships in adulthood.

Not only is a bond between a parent and child of evolutionary significance, bonds between adult partners are also essential to the maintenance of the species. If couples are closely connected and committed, children, families and society overall will benefit. Interesting, then, that oxytocin is also released after sex, perhaps contributing to the "afterglow" feeling in which partners feel particularly relaxed and enamoured.

Oxytocin may also impact memory -- or at least help us forget painful things in order to move on in our relationships. It is released during labour, helping us to relax and allay some of the discomfort. It also functions to help us forget the pain after childbirth.

Ever had a big fight with your partner and try to kiss and make up? Perhaps the oxytocin spikes that result from being in the arms of a loved one help you forget what you disagreed about in the first place.

Women have a special sensitivity to oxytocin because its effects are enhanced by the presence of estrogen. This might partially explain why women are more likely to be "touchy-feely" than men.

And women are especially likely to experience the health benefits of touch and oxytocin. One study of oxytocin levels in co-habitating couples (Grewen, Girdler, Amico & Light; Psychosomatic Medicine, 2005) found that 10 minutes of "warm contact" lowered women's blood pressure, and those who felt the most supported by their partners had the highest levels of oxytocin before and after the contact. 

Name: FatallyYours | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 5:32 PM
haha try 36 hours of labor on top of the oh so effing wonderful pregnancy i had.. i didnt forget my fat n stretchmarks remind me everyday. focker 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 5:49 PM
accckkkkkk@36hrs of labor mine were:

Name: homemommichele | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 5:52 PM
Interesting about the oxytocin bmes. I wonder if they have/could do studies on using synthetic hormones in cases where Moms are unable to/having difficulty with bonding?? Interesting thoughts. 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 5:55 PM
oh yeah.....and the nice marks left behind to remind us, lol

I have not a one on my tummy, all other areas that you can get them I do.....my butt, the front of my thighs although not bad just a few.........but my poor breast thats another story!!!! They were still nice even after my fourth...well they did have those ugly ass stretch marks......but my last baby i breastfeed for longer and now the sob's look like wal-mart bags w/ stretch marks, lol 

Name: cherisalorraine | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 6:16 PM
Stretch marks yuck. I have them in places no human should I even got them on my ankles and tops of my feet. When I went to the hospital after the Toxemia set in I was actually watching my self get them . They were bleeding and everything. 

Name: bmes | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 6:35 PM
michele...synthetic oxytocin in Pitocin.....they use pitocin during labor when the woman's oxytocin levels are too low. i don't know what else they may have tried using this for....so...it was something that interested me...and i started reading some more on it...and i found that there are TONS of other things that oxytocin does for us...sexual arousal, bonding increased trust, decreased fear, AUTISM..(THAT was interesting...)....reduces withdrawl symptoms of drugs such as cocain, heroine.....oh man tons more....

yeah....it's an important one it seems.....if some people have low levels of oxytocin you wonder why this isn't given more often? or hear of it more....cause this is all new to me.....had no clue 

Name: bmes | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 6:37 PM
ok just read some more...and it can only be given by injection or nasal spray and only lasts a few minutes.....maybe that's why it's not used more? 

Name: homemommichele | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 7:32 PM
I know oxytocin and pitocin are the same. I just wondered about research in bonding etc. 

Name: bmes | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 7:52 PM
oh yeah ok!!! yeah I think i may have read your post wrong michele....I see what you meant now....sorry...lol... 

Name: playmatex3x | Date: Mar 14th, 2008 8:18 AM
my labor was so bad i still feel it. back labor is a bitch!!! 

Name: marija | Date: Mar 14th, 2008 11:05 PM
Who the hell can forget that pain...
Pregnancy number 2, had me remembering pregnancy number 1 and that pain so badly that I became my doctors NUMBER 1 pain in the arse!!!.
"make sure you have epidural on my file"
"are you sure that the midwives know Im allowed an epidural?"...
"Can you show me where you wrote Im allowed an epidural on my file?"
"Can you write that in bold red pen!?"
You get the drift LOL
Labour starts, 10 minutes apart, looking like hours to go, and theres me at the hospital...
"Im allowed a epidural, its on my file"
"when am I getting my epidural?!"
"what do you mean, you have to try other pain avenues first!!!!"
"PANADOL?!?....YOU ARE F**KING KIDDING"
Half an hour later...into labour, still with hours to go...marija has had two panadol, sucked on gas and is now SCREAMING
"GIVE ME MY EPIDURAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes they gave me my epidural :-)

So in answer to the stupid male who made the statement...
NO I DID NOT FORGET THE PAIN!!!!! 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 14th, 2008 11:41 PM
can I forget the pain...umm no, but do not really fully recal because I can no longer feel it, but each time I go through it, I remember oh man.......and I remember each time they turn on that bright light......that up till now has been NOTHING compared to what I am about to feel........no I do not forget the pain......but to hold that sweet babe in my arms, well worth it imho.......so no do not forget but can not feel so can not FULLY recal......plus like I said....worth it....well worth it.......... 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us