Hello, guest
|
Name: mother2five
[ Original Post ]
I am soooo freaking pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My son is 7 yrs old and in the 2nd grade, he's actually very bright I'm not saying it cause I'm biased, I mean seriously he's in some gifted classes and he's in 4th grade reading........WELL I just got his f'ing report card home and in math he's making stupid mistakes because he wants to hurry and finish so he cn talk......he understands the math....we've made him pay closer attention at home and his teacher knows he knows what hes doing as well. BUT he will not slow down and do it correctly which has made his grade drop. To me a bad grade on something you know how to do and are in fact good at is not f'ing acceptable. Some of is daily papers are ranging between 100's and 50's I guess it just depends on if he feels like paying attention that day. Anyway the prob. is now his daily average is 81.4%.....test average 92.8%.......responsiblity grade 86.4%........OVERALL average is an f'ing 86%...........Thats just not ok w/ me when I know he can do it
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 9:54 PM
honestly speaking, i think you need to calm down a bit.......he is doing well and i can understand your concern about him not doing his best buuut being in grade 2, it is normal for kids to want to rush through so they have more time for other things......now of course if he were getting bad grades due to this, then i would be concerned.....buuut if he is still doing well, and you push too hard, he may end up regressing and hating school........ 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 9:56 PM
but his grades are slumping........an 86% math average is not great 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 9:57 PM
you know come to think of it, this sounds like how my mother was with my brother......my brother is so unbelivably intelligent, everything just comes naturally......he never studied and always made honour roll still......well let me tell yeah, he got tire of it, had excellent grades, went on to university and dropped out because he hated schooling so much by then.......so if this comes natural to him.........he will pick it up.....buut if you push to hard, again may cause a hate fo school and a regression.....
look and point out the positive.....help him set realistic goals that can help bring out a bit of competivness........and dont worry too much .......just point out the positive 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 9:58 PM
well i do not know where you live...b ut 86 percent is ABOVE average 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 10:00 PM
so am i being to hard on him?

he has awesome potential....i don't want him slumping below his potential 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 10:01 PM
we moved to crappy nebraska........the schooling here is crap compared to where we came from imo 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 10:01 PM
idk their education is very important to me........ 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 10:03 PM
a responsibility grade of 86.4 is stupid to.......esp. when he does hid f'ing homework then just doesn't turn it in......why do it and then not get your credit,,,,,,thats dumb 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 10:03 PM
i grounded him....is that harsh????? 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 10:05 PM
yeah know, yes we need to encourage our children...of course we do....but needs to be done in a positive manner.......if a child feels the parents are not approving.......it can break a childs spirit.......now i am not saying to pussy foot around a child....NO ...never.....buuut you do not want to cause him to regress either......help him set up some realistic goals.....daily, weekly and term wise......then as he meets these gaols it raises him up, and does help bring out a bit of competitive in him......which a bit of competitive is good.......I would not get upset with those grades, even ough you KNOW he is not working to his potential especially at such a young age....too much scholling still ahead to have him dread it.......just encourage m25......and will poitive encouragment, and his wanting to please his parents to ecieve more positive...you will see , he will WANT to work to his potential 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 10:08 PM
in my opinion...and of course i am not in your household....i would think that is certainly to harsh.......positive reinforcment and positive attention is what i tink and yes this is my opinion but what i think works best........
i tell yeah i had this with one of mine......and once we started setting goals....it REALLY worked.....going over the reports and deciding together what we can do to raise the mrks......worked!
no negative came from my mouth...nope and guess what she has been honour roll for years now 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 10:08 PM
ty winnomom you just gave me a great idea 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 10:09 PM
oh yes and i also have a reward system for report cards.......to earn as much as 50.00 per report card....this works well in our home as well 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 10:11 PM
yw...hope this helped.....again though I am not in your home......I can just share what works in ours and what did not work for my Mom........
I hope you can find something that works well for you......\
this is why we come....we can get ideas, share, vent etc.... 

Name: homemommichele | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 10:12 PM
My son is the same way, but he did his "hurry up so I can screw around" in handwriting!! He was getting straight A's but C's and D's in handwriting and having to bring his workbooks home and do over because the teacher just could not read it, he would just scribble rather than take the time to actually write out the letters legibly. He will get over it, hang in there!! 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 10:40 PM
yes you guys are right......I'm not usualy so weird about stuff like this, but the reasons he's got these grades is why I'm mad...not that he has them...but why they came about.

I have other kids that aren't in gifted classes as a matter of fact I have one that struggles, I guess I'm just harder on him because he is so dang smart. I don't want to stress him out at all. I just want him to do well, and learn that theres play time and a time to focus 

Name: bmes | Date: Mar 13th, 2008 10:43 PM
i remember when I was in school i was in french immersion...then when I got to high school, i didn't go to the french high school....just regular english school...and so in grade 8 i was put in the 10 honors french class...the teacher and my parents put so much pressure on me....cause i should go GREAT right? i was in french immersion right from K-grade 7....spoke it fluently.....I FAILED miserably!!!! 

Name: Dawn C. | Date: Mar 14th, 2008 9:37 AM
I feel your pain mom2five because my son is EXACTLY the same! He has NEVER opened a book to study...would do the homework and then NOT turn it in...make stupid mistakes because he knew the work and hurried through it so he could do something he felt was important. He even went as far as to calculate the exact number of homework assignments that he could miss throughout the semesters and still get a 92 overall grade for each class. Now wouldn't you think it would be easier to do ALL the work instead of brainstorming, calculating, and conniving to figure out how much work he could get away with NOT doing?? : / As a matter of fact he just brought home his college algebra mid-term paper and got a 79 FFS! This is the same kid that aced advanced calculus his frosh year in college. They had to write out the problems long form on one paper and then transfer the answers short form onto the test paper and turn both papers into the professor. He got 100% right on the long form but hurried through the transferring processes and did not copy them correctly onto the the test paper. DUMB ASS LOL!!

I don't know what to tell you. I have tried EVERYTHING over the years. Bribes...threats...MORE bribes...cash...I even told him I would GIVE him my cute little Firebird if he graduated in the top 10 of his HS class...which he could have easily done with his eyes closed. Nothing worked so I have basically given up. As long as he doesn't fail anything I keep my mouth shut. It's very frustrating but much better for my sanity lol. 

Name: Jubilee | Date: Mar 14th, 2008 12:15 PM
mother2five, I don't think you are being too harsh on him. The grades are not as important as knowing that your child is doing the best they can. If your child receives a C and you know that they did the best that they can, then that C is a great grade. You know that your child is gifted but not applying himself so I think that the sooner that you teach him to always do the best he can the more it will pay off when he is older. If he learns to always get away with doing the least amount of work it will show in his adult life. I think this is more about atitude than it is about grades. Your child learns things early in life that stay with them forever. He will either learn to give his best in everything he does or he will learn to get away with the least amount of effort. I think you are right to teach him to always try his hardest. This is a good lesson to learn early in life. 

Name: briseis | Date: Mar 14th, 2008 12:38 PM
In my humble opinion, grounding him is not the answer ... punishing him for getting 85% does indeed sound harsh to me. I just don't think punishing a child is the best way to encourage them to reach their potential.

Why don't you talk with him instead? Tell him you feel he can do better than that, and that although you are always proud of him, how much prouder you'd be of him if he tried a little harder. And when he does do well, reward him! 

Name: marija | Date: Mar 14th, 2008 11:45 PM
there is more to childhood than school. He is 7 years old, he deserves more than being pushed to his full potential.
dont make him hate any sort of school work.
I have a son who could read novels and write stories at 4yo. His understanding of the english language was astounding.
His social skills at this age were non-existant, by age 7 he wanted to fit in. He passed simply because it came naturally to him. Everyone knew he could do better, he just didnt want to. He did not like being singled out in class for being either special or a dickhead. So he choose average...amazing for a little kid to make that decision IMO
High school was where I put my foot down, mainly because the mindset is different, adulthood is approaching, peer pressure is upon him, but the biggest reason, is because I can talk to him as a budding adult, not discipline him as a child.
He was dux of math last year, and wants to be an accountant.
Im just happy my nightmare of him living with us at 40 is fading!! LOL.
If your son is rebelling at academia at 7yo imagine what damage he will do at 17yo when IMO it counts.
P.S
I do also want to point out, that I believe intelligence CAN slow if not used. I think my son could of done better...alot better academically. I didnt push it to his full potential, because HE wasnt coping socially, which I believe is one half of what makes a person smart.
To me if you are only books smart then you are an idiot. It is the way I think and the way I parent.
You may see your son as socially apt, but he may not. 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 17th, 2008 10:23 PM
marija......ty, I actually see alot of what your saying in my son.

I actually decided not to stick with grounding him but had a possitive talk w/ him 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us