Hello, guest
|
Name: mother2five
[ Original Post ]
I wanna know what is the best meal you all cook, do your kids and husbands/boyfriends love it.

I love cooking but w/ 7 ppl in the house you can imagine I can't please them all at the same time when it comes to meals so I'm always looking for something new that everyone would like.
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: Nicolaaa | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 6:53 PM
Risotto is my fave dish to cook, is quick and easy, and healthy too. I use chicken stock to flavour it, and literally empty the fridge of vegetables, and use up leftover sweetcorn etc....

This is a dish i always use fresh veggies in (though use tinned sweetcorn). I put a bit of cooked and diced chicken in too sometimes. I cook it in my nice new shiny wok from Leekes lol! and if it's not all used up...we'll have the last portion for a snack later or lunch the next day...it really is nice and easy, and not too expensive (depends on price of vegetables used) 

Name: homemommichele | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 6:54 PM
Feta chicken!! 

Name: Randi | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 7:01 PM
Chicken Cacciatore. I love it, my husband loves it and my son eats whatever I feed him (I am lucky here I guess)

I also will make a homemade pizza sometimes and have seperate toppings for everyone. 

Name: Nicolaaa | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 7:05 PM
hmm Randi that's a good idea....that way everybodys happy. hmm 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 7:48 PM
what is rissoto? 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 7:49 PM
One of my family favs is : Sausage sauted in onions, red bell pepper , 1 can rotel tomatos, 1/3 can of beer served over the top of wacky noodles (this noodle is weird shaped noodles and diff. colors none of the kids have any idea that their diff. colors because their veggie noodles!!!) great way to snaek in the veggies the other flavors are so strong you just taste the noodle. 

Name: Nicolaaa | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 7:53 PM
It's a special sort of rice served with lots of vegetables, cooked meat etc...I usually let it simmer in some chicken stock for about 20 minutes to let it have more flavour...and it makes it nice and moist. It's a hit with everyone in this house, bar my brother who's fussy lol! 

Name: bmes | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 8:07 PM
ginger garlic pork tenderloin, with rice and greek salad.
chili
spaghetti
stew
stuffed tomatoes (cut em in half and take the inside out and mix it with corn, sauteed onions and mushrooms, and your fave cheese, and then bake em just until the cheese melts)
chicken with mango salsa
taco salad
pork roast (puncture holes all over it and stuff it with prunes...make a gravy from the pork drippings, and have it with apple sauce)
swedish meatballs
blackened halibut
snapper (lay out a piece of tin foil, and spread out some sliced onion on it. put the fish on top, and top it with garlic, lemon pepper, and butter, and wrap it up and bake it or bbq it)
alfredo
veggie burgers
teriyaki stirfry
pasta, honey-ham, cheese and cauliflower casserole

you'd think PIZZA...but apparently my daughter doesn't like it...just found that out!! lol... 

Name: bmes | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 8:09 PM
oh and cumin glazed carrots.....steam the carrots, and then move them to a sautee pan and toss in butter, cinnamon, vanilla, brown sugar and cumin. YUM 

Name: Nicolaaa | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:01 PM
Our steamer is used EVERY meal time....best way of cooking veggies in my opinion...very healthy and easy. We have a George Foreman Grill as well....and use that for bacon, sausages, pork chops, beef, paninis etc....and it's disgusting the amount of fat that comes off of stuff!! My step mother got me a pink one for Christmas...I havent used that one yet...am keeping it nice and neat in the box for when we move away lol....

Bmes that sounds yum actually lol.... 

Name: FatallyYours | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:04 PM
i copoked chicken noodle casserole tonight its uick cheap easy and its good

1 16oz of sour cream
1 can of cream of chicken
1 can cream of mushroom
1 bag of extra wide egg noodles
4 white chicken breasts, skinless boneless
one thing of bread topping, pepperidge farm regular or herb whichever

boil the chicken breasts til done then shred into pan cook noodles in the same water so they keep that flaor once those are done add everything in a pan mix together with your hands add bread toppings on top and bake at 375 for about 30 mins-ish
quick and simple. 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:12 PM
coartney i don't know if you remember but you gave me this recipe before and my kids loved it!! 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:14 PM
i see theres alot of you from canada, my husbands fathers side of the family is from neufenland (sp) anyway i wanna make my husbands grandma a traditional meal from there she talks about something called a jig i've got some idea how it's made but if one of you have the recipe that would be great 

Name: Randi | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:17 PM
Hahaha, I am nowhere near Newfoundland. We are all on the other side of the country. I will google it for ya though : )

Newfoundland Jigs Dinner Soup

Living to Eat
**Makes about 12 2-cup servings**

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup Butter

1/2 cup Virgin Olive Oil

2 tbsp Fresh Garlic, crushed

1 cup Onions, diced

16 cups Water

1 cup Turnip

1 cup Cabbage

1 cup Potatoes

1 cup Split Peas

1 cup Newfoundland salt beef

1 cup Carrots (pre-boiled)

1/2 cup Low-Sodium Chicken Base

1/2 cup of Green Shallots

1/2 Pesto

DIRECTIONS:

1) Melt butter and virgin olive oil in a large pot. Stir in chopped garlic and onions. Sauté on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir frequently.

2) Add water, beef, split peas, turnip, potatoes and carrots. Add a low sodium chicken base and let it boil for 20-25 minutes.

3) For extra flavour and colour, add pesto, green shallots and cabbage.

4) Enjoy!

TIP: Pre-soak beef overnight to de-salt the beef. 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:19 PM
lol, thanks randi

so it's like i thought kinda like a roast and veggies 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:22 PM
another traditional newfie mael is salt beef.......a neighbor made it for me before I did not really like it, but oh the newfies seem to love it 

Name: FatallyYours | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:26 PM
i cook alot of spanish rice and beans with chicken and like spinach or something. i love it. lol 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:28 PM
salt beef is kind of like roast beef 

Name: Randi | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:35 PM
I don't like any newfie foods : | 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:37 PM
hahahaha you guys say newfie over there to?!?!?! i thought that was an american term for them, my husband calls his grandma the goofy newfie 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:37 PM
Ingredients:
2 pounds of corned beef (salt beef) or salt spareribs
1 cup of yellow split peas
6-8 medium potatoes
6 carrots
1 medium turnip, peeled and cut in chunks
1 medium cabbage, cut in wedges
2 tablespoons of butter
Pepper to taste
1. Soak the meat in cold water overnight (6-8 hours). Drain meat and place in a large pot.
2. Tie the peas in a cloth bag, leaving room for expansion, and put the bag in the pot with the beef. Cover the beef and peas with water. Heat until boiled, cover it and let it simmer for 2 hours.
3. Prepare the vegetables, small carrots and potatoes may be left whole, but cut the larger ones in half. Slice the turnip, and cut the cabbage into wedges.
4. After the meat and the peas have cooked for 2 hours, add the vegetables and cook them, until they are tender, adding the cabbage last.
5. Remove the peas for the bag, place it in a bowl and mash it with butter and pepper to form what is called 'peas pudding'. Remove the meat and cut it into serving size slices.
6. Arrange the meat and vegetables on a platter. You serve the 'peas pudding' in a separate bowl.

I remember I loved the peas...lol 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:37 PM
thaqt is a recipe for jiggs dinner 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:38 PM
i have a question about your turnips, his grandma says that our turnips aren't the real ones that the real ones are in canada and they're orange???? i've never seen an orange turnip, do you all not have purple skinned turnips w/ white inside like in the us? 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:39 PM
yep we call em newfies here too....lol 

Name: Randi | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:39 PM
Does she have a strong accent?

There are lots of Newfs here because they come for the work and I can't understand a word they say! If it wasn't for my husband coming home and imitating them (LOL he works with a ton of them) I would have no clue what they were saying. A lady at the grocery store loved Kadens shoes and asked me "Where'd ya get them to?"
I answered Babies R Us and she said "Oh Great!" so I knew I answered it right LOL 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:39 PM
our turnips are orange 

Name: Randi | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:40 PM
We have orange and purple in the stores... 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:40 PM
I love how newfies add s too a lot of words...lol......I loves that ....I likes that...... 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:41 PM
yes she says things a bit weird like shes on oxygen and she calls it her oxkagen, and coffe sounds like toppee, theres some things she says thats weird, but shes lived in the states now for a very very long time 

Name: winnmom | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:41 PM
I have never had a purple turnip......only orange, now I am heading out to safeway right away and I am going to have to look....lolllll......If I saw them I probably just thought they were purple cabbage...lol 

Name: mother2five | Date: Mar 4th, 2008 9:42 PM
OMG, LOL she does say gots instead of got 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us