Hello, guest
|
Name: Car
[ Original Post ]
Hello I have a severely autistic child who is 11 years old. My son has been yelling for the past month or so. He yells for hours at a time and stops like if everthing is ok. He is taking medicine but it doesn't seem to be working. Also he wakes up in the night yelling. I don't know if this is a sign of puberty or something else is going on. He is nonverbal. If anybody has heard about this before or has any advice please help.
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: dianna | Date: Feb 13th, 2007 8:16 PM
Hi Car, I knew of a neighbor who had a son that did that but he stopped. She seemed to think it was also because pre-puberty. Do you see a Dr. you could ask that about. ? It's a little harder too when they are non verbal as my guy is too. Perhaps using a Pecs board or communication device to ask him what is bothering him may help. I hope that helps a little. Also, as with having a special needs child, remember "this too will pass" Hang in there and take care. 

Name: Car | Date: Feb 14th, 2007 1:37 AM
Hi Dianna,What did your neighbor do to help her son when he was yelling. My son does have a doctor but the only advice they give me is to increase his medicine I would like to get a different opinion. 

Name: dianna | Date: Feb 14th, 2007 2:23 PM
Hi Car, well her son responded to pressure, and I know she used to hold his shoulders firmly, (almost as if you wanted to "shake" someone) and would say comforthing things to him like "it's ok, or are you upset about something"? etc. It did seem to calm him down. The hard part with her son was he didn't use a pec board or anything. So it was almost like trying to comfort a baby. Sometimes she would even (as she was holding his shoulders) try to sit him down. You have to remember this was back when I was just in my early twenties (I am 33) so I don't know how much they really knew @ autism back then or how to work with it. I just remember when we would be at functions like graduation parties or summer picnics he would rock a lot and sometimes scream or yell. Looking back and knowing what I know now of autistic children having sensory and over stimulation issues, it could easily be that as he is getting to his "hormonal" changes as a pre teen and acting out on them, but then again I am no doctor so it;s hard to say. But I do know that woman's son stopped because when I saw him at a graduation party the next summer he was still rocking and he liked to dance to the music but I didn't notice him yelling anymore. Unfortunately the doctor's only remedy a lot of times is to up the medicines, which I don't know if I agree with either. Could you ask your son why he is yelling or would he not understand? I know mine wouldn't at this point. Could he answer you with sign language or a pecs system? 

Name: Car | Date: Feb 15th, 2007 1:17 AM
Hi Dianna my son doesn't speak at all. I understand some words because I am around him. He doesn't know any sign language. When he gets into these yelling its hard to get him to even look at his PECS book. Thank You very much for your information. How old is your child? 

Name: dianna | Date: Feb 16th, 2007 1:00 AM
Hi again Car, my son is almost 4 1/2. Young, I know, but still very delayed in many things (like potty too) It gets hard because he is a twin to a typical child, and I always miss those opportunities I see my typical son hitting. Oh! you're welcome for any and all advice. 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us