Hello, guest
|
Name: jillw
[ Original Post ]
if your baby is getting colestrum (sp) after she is born? I know that lots of women begin to leak it before they give birth, but I am 30 weeks and I am not leaking at all and I do not remember leaking it with my son either. How will I know that it has "come in" when my little girl is born? I really want to breast feel, but I am worried that she will be sucking for nothing and will be hungry.
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: koz | Date: Jan 11th, 2007 8:15 PM
i didn't leak until after i had my baby..the first few days of her life, i didn't feel like she was getting anything to eat...then when the milk came in, i felt better...don't worry it will come and she won't starve!!! 

Name: jillw | Date: Jan 11th, 2007 9:10 PM
I know that it does come, but is it there when she is first sucking or is she not getting anything? I don't want her to have to wait 2 days before she gets any thing to eat or drink. I know that I sound a bit paranoid, but this is my first time breastfeeding and I had a breast reductuon so I know that makes my odds of success less likely. I just want to make sure that my baby gets the nutrition she needs those first days. 

Name: koz | Date: Jan 11th, 2007 9:21 PM
i left her in the nursery at the hosp (at night) and i nursed her during the day the day she was born...the first night through the night they fed her fromula and the second they brought her in once through the night to nurse and then gave her some formula..at first it's just the colostrum which seems like they are getting nothing but i felt better they supplemented a little at that time. then after i knew my milk came in i just nursed her....i think when they first suck they do get some...it's very thin and it doesn't seem like they get anything..i kept asking the nurse are you sure she's getting any?? They assured me she was..and here we are 10 months later i still nurse her a few times a day....hope that helps 

Name: Melissa | Date: Jan 11th, 2007 10:07 PM
babies are born with fat reserves just for this reason. they don't need to eat or drink anything for the first few days. every woman produces colostum. some women don't leak it at all while preg. and this is normal and fine. some woman leak like crazy, it doesn't mean that one will have more milk than the other. when you nurse your baby for the first time it will send a signal to your body to start making it (if you haven't started to make it already). while you are nursing your baby for the first few days listen to see if you can hear him/her swallow. if they are swallowing every few sucks then they are getting something. babies are designed to just get colostrum the first few days. they will loose a few oz. the first few days which is complety normal so don't worry. also women's milk supply comes in at different times you could get your milk within 2 days or it could be up to 7 before you feel "full". if you are worried about the breast reduction make sure and talk to a lactation consultant at the hospital before baby is born if possible. she will be able to give you tips and things too look out for in the first few days. hope some of this helped. i really didn't mean to write a book, sorry. :) 

Name: jillw | Date: Jan 11th, 2007 10:18 PM
thank you guys so much. I have been doing research, but there is jsut some stuff that they don't tell you :) I didn't realize that it was normal for babies to get little to nothing the first couple of days. Is that why the say to start counting wet changes after 48-72 hrs after birth 

Name: Melissa | Date: Jan 12th, 2007 5:05 AM
yes, colstrum is mostly anti bodies to boost your babies immune system. it also has fat and some other things to make sure babies blood sugar stays at a good level. your baby should have one wet diaper for every day he/she is old until day 6. then they should have at least 6 wet diapers in a day. it is good that you are doing alot of research, knowlegde is power. the more you know then the less you will "freak out" if something happens. a good website you should check out is www.breastfeeding.com they have public forums there and they also have tons of info on the regular website. good luck and keep us updated! 

Name: jillw | Date: Jan 12th, 2007 2:21 PM
thank you for all of your help melissa. 

Name: zoey9810 | Date: Jan 16th, 2007 12:44 AM
i only leak if i put pressure on my brests 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us