Hello, guest
|
Name: Kristy84
[ Original Post ]
Should you wash your baby's clothes and receiving blankets before they wear them? Also, what is the best detergent that y'all recommend? Michael and I both have very sensitive skin, so I want something ultra-gentle!!
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: jillw | Date: Oct 30th, 2006 10:14 PM
yes you should wash everything first even sheets and socks. I always used regular detergent with no added sents or dyes. Jeremaih (my son) also has very sensitive skin. I know that they make a detergent that is just for baby clothes, but I never used it. 

Name: missmara | Date: Oct 30th, 2006 10:23 PM
I started by using Dreft, which is very expensive. Then I discovered Purex Baby, which is like a fourth of the price. I love it. My daughter has very sensitive skin and she has never reacted to either of the detergents. You do want to wash anything that is going to touch her skin. Some people say to even wash your own shirts in the baby detergent in the beginning, but I didn't do that. A tip: don't cut the tags off of every item of clothing right away. Start with the onesies and maybe a few of the newborn outfits. My sister gave my this tip and it saved me money because my daughter didn't get to wear half of the outfits she got and I was able to return them and get bigger sizes. They only wear the newborn size for a few weeks, and seriously, some of the outfits you get are ridiculous. Most babies aren't going anywhere fancy the first weeks, and the onesies are the most practical considering how much they spit-up and how often you have to change diapers! 

Name: Randi02 | Date: Oct 30th, 2006 10:35 PM
I am just using regular liquid tide with snuggle fabric softener... I hope it will be fine. Kristy if you are worried about sensitive skin (this is diapers, sorry) then you should be careful of the Pampers. They smell scented and have "baby dry" it's an extra added for more absorbancy and lots of babies are allergic to it. 

Name: melmoney | Date: Oct 30th, 2006 11:39 PM
I just finished up doing all of the laundry for the baby... man that took forever! I used Dreft to wash everything for its first washing. My SIL gave it to me and suggested using it to wash everything at the beginning just to be safe. Then maybe wash one or two things in your normal detergent after the baby is here and see what her reaction is to it. If it doesn't affect her skin at all then you're probably safe to wash everything from the on in your normal detergent. If it is too much for the baby's skin, then you should stick with the more delicate stuff. But to start out wash everything in the baby safe detergent just to be safe, then you can go from there since that stuff is kinda expensive. 

Name: Kristy84 | Date: Oct 31st, 2006 1:52 AM
Has anyone used All Free...it's dye and scent free...I bought it tonight and it was reasonably priced...I hope it'll be ok. 

Name: EthansMom0213 | Date: Oct 31st, 2006 2:16 AM
Yes, most definately make sure to wash everything and anything that is going to come in contact with you daughters skin. Since you and fiance both have sensitive skin your baby's skin will most likely be just as sensitive if not more. Baby's skin in general is just sensitive. Before my son was born and for the first month or two I did use Dreft because I loved the smell. But then I just started washing all of our clothes with All(the one that contains No perfume, No Dyes). All also came out with their own Baby Laundry detergent which smells just as good as dreft but half the cost. 

Name: EthansMom0213 | Date: Oct 31st, 2006 2:17 AM
Kristy-

The All Free is what I use. 

Name: Melissa | Date: Oct 31st, 2006 4:00 AM
i would only wash a few things before baby gets here. my son was alot bigger than anyone thought and i had washed all of his newborn clothes, well turns out he worn newborn size for 1 week. so i still have clothes he has never worn. if i would had waited then i could have taken some of them back. just a suggestion. you never know until they get here. also i would suggest for the 1st few weeks washing your shirts in whatever deturgent you decide to use. baby will spend alot of time on your shoulder. 

Name: EthansMom0213 | Date: Oct 31st, 2006 4:05 AM
I only removed a few tags for a couple of outfits this time around. When my son was born he actually was to big for Newborn clothes. While in the hospital I actually had my husband run home and get my 0 to 3 month TShirts because the Newborn TShirts they gave us to use in the hospital were to small. I had several outfits that were newborn and I never used them. 

Name: Melissa | Date: Oct 31st, 2006 4:14 AM
glad i'm not alone! i was so mad that i had listen to everyone and washed everything. i could have bought alot more clothes that actually fit him. 

Name: EthansMom0213 | Date: Oct 31st, 2006 5:49 AM
I hear you. My sister made out real well when her son was born 7 months after mine because I gave her all my newborn clothes. Infact for the first 2 weeks my nephew wore preemie. The good things about it though is that since we have already gone down this road we will not make the same mistake and will hopefully prevent someone else from doing the same thing. Being a new parent is all about trail and error. If something doesn't work you try something else. You learn what is important to have and what was a waste of money.

I think I only washed two or three newborn outfits just incase and then the 0-3 months clothes. I figure just like last time I will bring both sizes because you never know. 

Name: Kristy84 | Date: Oct 31st, 2006 5:27 PM
I'm definitely going to listen to you guys about not washing the newborn stuff. I'm just going to wash the 1 nb onsie that I hope she can wear in her hospital pics. Other than that, I'm going to wash the 0-3 and bigger stuff so I can have her dresser and closet full. Thanks guys for the advice!! 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us