Hello, guest
|
Name: JasminesMommy
[ Original Post ]
Couldnt think of a topic, so :) it is....

Okay first off let me say that I KNOW doctors dont suggest giving babies under 4 months old anything other than formula. Second let me say, if you aren't going to respond nicely - please dont respond at all!

I sometimes give Jasmine little tastes of things. She has tasted lemon and lime juice (and the mexican in her apparently liked it a lot), she's tried a little bit of banana, some honey butter (only a very small bit), some blueberry muffin, and peanut butter. When I say she's tasted this stuff I mean it's been in such small amounts she really only gets a taste.

Well today she REALLY liked the blueberry muffin. She actually wanted more. I'd drumble a little bit and give her a little, when she didnt have any left in her mouth she kicked her feet and squirmed around and started to cry until I gave her some more. Keep in mind she wasnt hungry - she had just ate.

I guess what im asking is, in my case, would you give her more? I dont want to hear what the docs say because I know plenty of people who didnt wait until 4 months and their baby turned out fine. I am just asking what you would do if she was your baby. She seems to really like this stuff - espesially those blueberrys.
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: jdourt | Date: Jun 30th, 2007 7:30 PM
Home » Food & Drink » Appetizers, Soups & Salads » Vegetable Recipes
How to Cook Rutabagas

Cook Rutabagas

BROWSE HOW TOs
More Articles in
Food & Drink
Appetizers, Soups & Salads
Breads & Breakfasts
Cooking & Baking
Desserts
Drinks & Cocktails
Healthy Recipes
Holiday Recipes
Main Dishes
Wine
World & Regional Cuisine
Check Out All Categories
Arts & Entertainment
Business
Careers & Work
Cars
Computers
Culture & Society
Education
Electronics
Fashion, Style & Personal Care
Food & Drink
Health
Hobbies, Games & Toys
Holidays & Celebrations
Home & Garden
Internet
Legal
Parenting
Parties & Entertaining
Personal Finance
Pets
Relationships & Family
Sports & Fitness
Travel
Weddings
Ads by Google

google.co.uk/gmm
Advertise on eHow
Thanks. Your vote has been counted.
Average Rating

(6) Rate It!
Flag Article
Add Favorite Add Comment Send to Friend Print Article by eHow Food & Drink Editor

Introduction
This turnip cousin, often used in stews, also works as a tasty side dish.
Instructions
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Steps
1Step One Click to enlargePeel the rutabaga with a paring knife or vegetable peeler.
2Step Two Click to enlargeChop into half-inch cubes. (See the Related eHow "Dice Vegetables.")
3Step Three Click to enlargePlace in a medium skillet with 1 1/2 c. water and bring to a boil.
4Step FourAdd a pat of butter or 1 tbsp. olive oil.
5Step Five Click to enlargeAdd salt and pepper to taste.
6Step SixAdd a dash or two of good-quality Indian curry powder and a pinch of brown sugar.
7Step Seven Click to enlargeBring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until fork-tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
8Step Eight Click to enlargeDrain and serve on a warmed plate.
Tips & Warnings
Mash a boiled rutabaga or two into your next batch of mashed potatoes. Not only will you get a beautiful golden color, your guests will wonder where the delicious, interesting taste comes from. Keep it a mystery and don't tell them.
Try boiled or steamed rutabagas with mustard butter. (For a simple mustard butter, combine 1/4 c. soft butter with 2 to 3 tsp. Dijon mustard, one minced garlic clove, and some finely chopped parsley.)
You can generally substitute rutabagas for turnips, although you might need to cook them a bit longer.
Be careful with the knife. Rutabagas are tough.
Ads by Google
Lose 15 lbs in 3 Minutes
The Fastest Way to Lose Weight. Shocking Chinese Diet Secret!
www.MeltMoreFat.com

Make Microwave Recipe
1000's of Microwave Recipes quickly Tasty Recipes, Totally Free!
Recipes.Starware.com

AOL™ Home Cooking Day
Find Delicious Recipes. Cook Easily at Home. AOL.
AOL.co.uk/Jamie

Recipe
Search or browse through hundreds of recipe ideas for every occasion
www.ivillage.com

Advertise on eHow
Overall Things You'll Need
Cutting Boards
Medium-sized Rutabagas
Wooden Spoons
Paring Knives
1 or 2 dashes ground curry
Salt To Taste
Peelers
1 tbsp. olive (not virgin) oil
Pat Of Butter
Chef's Knives
Pinch Of Sugars
Skillets
Peppers To Taste
Tools Digg del.icio.us

Member Comments
by renee good on 11/22/2005
Boiling rutabagas - Add bouillon to the water or cook it in broth to add even more flavor.
Flag This CommentThis comment has been flagged.
by Susan on 11/22/2005
easy to microwave - Microwave whole rutabagas by wrapping in wax paper or paper towel, placing in microwave-safe dish, piercing with knife in several places, micowaving for ten to twenty minutes on high until tender when pierced with fork.
Flag This CommentThis comment has been flagged.
View All 2 Comments
SUBMIT COMMENT
Request a New How To Article
Chances are there's an eHow member who knows how to do what you're looking to do. Submit an article request now!
SUBMIT REQUEST

More Articles Like This
How to Cook Rutabagas
How to Grow Rutabagas
How to Cook a Virginia Ham
How to Cook Lobster
How to Cook a Favorite Meat on a Charcoal Grill
More Articles Like This
How to Grill Vegetables
How to Make an Autumn Vegetable Medley
How to Make Acorn Squash With Whipped Turnips
How to Dice Vegetables
How to Make Green Beans With Garlic
Related Ads
Learn How to Cook Learning How to Cook How to Cook Vegetables How to Cook Eggplant How to Cook Corn Vegetarian Cooking Featured Members
New Members
Featured Members
Zach Chouteau, eHow Expert
Kristen Fischer, eHow Expert
NJBeren deMotier, eHow Expert
Portland, OregonNew Members
GPJ38
csheffield7770
hedgeandbaby 

Name: Whittni | Date: Jun 30th, 2007 7:34 PM
i know there is something in honey you shouldn't give to babies until they are over one year old. other than that cadence is 2.5 months sunday and were going to start giving her some rice cereal in her night bottles. when we were little my mom said about 2 months you could start giving babies normal food...or at least tastes...good luck :) 

Name: Randi | Date: Jun 30th, 2007 7:38 PM
The only bad thing is the honey. It can give them botulism and in an infant that can be fatal... 

Name: JasminesMommy | Date: Jun 30th, 2007 7:39 PM
is she that old ALREADY! That means Jasmine is too, they were born 3 days apart. MY GOD time flies! I had thought of giving her cereal at night. My grandmother told me she did that with me around 2-3 months and I slept all night long! I hope Jasmine takes after me on the feeding part! Do I need to use a bigger nipple for the cereal? I use Dr. Browns Level 2 nipples already. They make nipples that say use for feeding thick liquids... is that the one I should use? 

Name: JasminesMommy | Date: Jun 30th, 2007 7:40 PM
You know, the funny thing about Honey is that Luis told me in Mexico they put honey in pacifiers so the baby sucks on it more. He thought I was crazy when I told him not to ever give her honey (this converstion happened a long time ago)... I guess cultures make a big difference in the way your body works? 

Name: Randi | Date: Jun 30th, 2007 7:45 PM
That's funny you say that. I was looking on Nutri watch and mexico has the highest infant botulism numbers in north america. Canada has the lowest. 

Name: JasminesMommy | Date: Jun 30th, 2007 7:46 PM
Well I guess we both know why now dont we LOL I'll have to tell Luis not to give honey to any future children he has in Mexico lol. 

Name: NIKKIS | Date: Jun 30th, 2007 10:47 PM
honey and peanut butter are big no nos! i know i was told to only say something if it was nice, but this is a for your information! you can cause her to have severe allergies to honey and peanut butter by giving them to her that early! don't people realize how immature their systems are? just because they are born does not mean they are done developing! you have the internet do some damn research before you feed your baby anything! 

Name: JasminesMommy | Date: Jun 30th, 2007 10:53 PM
I was aware of the Honey thing... but I hadnt ever heard of Peanut Butter... She didnt have too much.. It was reeces peanut butter chips... I broke a little piece off and smooshed it in my finger... it was like the size of an ant... I'll remember that for future reference.

And the reason I didnt look online is because everything says NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER to give a baby under 4 months old anything other than formula. I know it's suggested not to, but A LOT of people do. Thats why I looked here for personal experience not doctors who are quacks (like Jasmine's doctor is). 

Name: zoey9810 | Date: Jul 1st, 2007 12:00 AM
their really isnt a reason to give them food at this point, breast milk and formula are enough! they arent fully developed yet! 

Name: NIKKIS | Date: Jul 1st, 2007 1:33 AM
peanut butter because of peanuts being in it. a peanut allergy is one of the worst because of how many things contain peanuts. but i'm glad you didnt take it as me being rude. i really just wanted to tell you because food allergies are serious business :) 

Name: JasminesMommy | Date: Jul 1st, 2007 1:45 AM
If you were being rude you would have called me a name like most people do on here when someone makes a post like this. I think the most common name I hear here is twit... it seems pretty popular lol. I wont be giving her any more tastes with peanuts in it. I did however buy some rice cereal ( my granny says the rice mixes better with the milk) to put in her bottle. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about introducing it? Is night time a better time... morning? And how much. I know she shouldnt get too much... maybe like a tbp or two per bottle I guess? Thanks guys 

Name: NIKKIS | Date: Jul 1st, 2007 1:48 AM
rice cereal would be the first thing to introduce them. and while i know how much you should give her i'm not going to tell you lol. only because i think you should wait :) 

Name: question | Date: Jul 1st, 2007 3:02 AM
I started my foster daughter on rice cereal in her bottle when she was like 4 or 5 months old.Then it was only about 3/4 tsp in her night time bottle,then i increased it a little.You dont want it to be thick just thickened a little.I wouldnt give it yet though,but then again I've seen how devestating food allergies can be. Good luck! 

Name: Coartney | Date: Jul 1st, 2007 2:31 PM
braden gets cereal in his bottle every feeding bc of his bad spitting up, and its helped. i have dipped his binky in oj and coke before and of course shuts him right up, now is it good for him, no. i dont let him try foods nor am i going to. the earliest probably 3.5 months and it being those rice puffs. hes 11 weeks in a fews about a week older than jas, and 3 days? older than cadence just let her be a baby 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us