Hello, guest
|
Name: scared1906
[ Original Post ]
has anybody on here been affected by sudden infant death syndrome Cot death?
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: jillw | Date: Oct 20th, 2006 8:07 PM
I have not been effected, but I know lots about it what did you want to know? 

Name: scared1906 | Date: Oct 20th, 2006 8:12 PM
everything i need as much info as i can get i am doing a childcare course at colleg and i also have a 4 month old daughter 

Name: jillw | Date: Oct 20th, 2006 8:20 PM
well if you need info on a report you may be better off getting it off of a web site, but I can tell you that the most common cause is inf. apnea. Babies forget to breath when they are sleeping. It is suggested that babies sleep on their backs because the sleep too soundly when on their stomach and are less likely to wake up during an apnea moment. Children who are prone to apnea can have their dr order what is called an apnea monitor. An alsrm will sound when the baby doesn't breath and that will either startle the baby or wake the parents in time to preform cpr if needed. 

Name: jamcarant | Date: Oct 21st, 2006 5:35 AM
My daughter was born with apnea. She was hooked up to an apnea monitor int he hospital, and when the alarm went off at first, I went nuts!! After a couple of days, tho, I shook her and she breathed again. She didn't have to be sleeping, tho. She did it when she was awake too. But I don't know much about SIDS. 

Name: tylersmom06 | Date: Oct 21st, 2006 5:46 AM
Great Website for you scared
www.sids.org

But here is some info for you! :-)

As the name implies, SIDS is the sudden and unexplained death of an infant who is younger than 1 year old. It is a frightening prospect because it can strike without warning, usually in a seemingly healthy infant. Most SIDS deaths are associated with sleep (hence the common reference to "crib death"), and infants who die of SIDS show no signs of suffering.

When considering which babies could be most at risk, no single risk factor is likely to be sufficient to cause a SIDS death. Rather, several risk factors combined may contribute to cause an at-risk infant to die of SIDS.

Most deaths due to SIDS occur between 2 and 4 months of age, and incidence increases during cold weather. African-American infants are twice as likely and Native American infants are about three times more likely to die of SIDS than caucasian infants. More boys than girls fall victim to SIDS.

Other potential risk factors include:

* smoking, drinking, or drug use during pregnancy
* poor prenatal care
* prematurity or low birth-weight
* mothers younger than 20
* smoke exposure following birth
* overheating from excessive sleepwear and bedding
* stomach sleeping 

Name: tylersmom06 | Date: Oct 21st, 2006 5:47 AM
Tips for Reducing the Risk of SIDS

In addition to placing healthy infants on their backs to sleep, the AAP suggests the following measures to help reduce the risk of SIDS:

* Place your baby on a firm mattress to sleep, never on a pillow, waterbed, sheepskin, or other soft surface. Do not put fluffy blankets, comforters, stuffed toys, or pillows near the baby to prevent rebreathing.
* Make sure your baby does not get too warm while sleeping. Keep the room at a temperature that feels comfortable for an adult in a short-sleeve shirt. To avoid overheating, cover the baby only with a light blanket that reaches no further than the shoulders. Some researchers suggest that a baby who gets too warm could go into a deeper sleep, making it more difficult to awaken.
* Do not smoke, drink, or use drugs while pregnant and do not expose your baby to secondhand smoke. Infants of mothers who smoked during pregnancy are three times more likely to die of SIDS than those whose mothers were smoke-free; exposure to secondhand smoke doubles a baby's risk of SIDS. Researchers speculate that smoking might affect the central nervous system, starting prenatally and continuing after birth, which could place the baby at increased risk.
* Receive early and regular prenatal care.
* Make sure your baby has regular well-baby checkups.
* Breastfeed, if possible. There is some evidence that breastfeeding may help decrease the incidence of SIDS. The reason for this is not clear, though researchers think that breast milk may help protect babies from infections that increase the risk of SIDS.
* If your baby has GERD, be sure to follow your child's doctor's guidelines on feeding and sleep positions.
* Put your baby to sleep with a pacifier during the first year of life. If your baby rejects the pacifier, don't force it. Pacifiers have been linked with lower risk of SIDS. If you're breastfeeding, it's a good idea to wait until after the baby is 1 month old so that breastfeeding can be established.
* While infants can be brought into a parent's bed for nursing or comforting, parents should return them to their cribs or bassinets when they're ready to sleep. It's a good idea to keep the cribs and bassinets in the room where parents' sleep. This has been linked with a lower risk of SIDS. 

Name: tylersmom06 | Date: Oct 21st, 2006 5:51 AM
About 2500 babies a year die from SIDS it is very scary.. when my son was born I put his crib in the room with me until we was 6 months old..lol! He never would stay on his back no matter what intervention I used! SIDS is the main reason I did not mind him having a pacifier, because when they roll on thier tummies their mouths are not closed completely and the pacifier keeps an airway open! Also I wouldnt allow smoking anywhere near him! Anyway.. I am stepping down from my soapbox! Hope you are able to find all you need! 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us