Hello, guest
|
Name: lil_dancer77
[ Original Post ]
How long does your new born sleep for? Olivia was sleeping really well the first 2 weeks..she was sleeping for 5 hours at a time and at night about 7 hours..but lately she is waking up every 2-3 hours and wants a feed. I do not know if my breast milk is enough for her? Do you think i should give her some forumla too...she gets really upset once she has literally sucked me dry and nothing comes out....i do not want to over feed her but i do not want her going hungry. Any ideas?
Also is it normal for her to be waking that often? does it mean there could be something wrong or is Olivia just trying to get herself into a routine?
Your Name

captcha

Your Reply here

Name: missmara | Date: Jun 16th, 2007 4:44 AM
Well...breastfed babies should be fed 8 - 12 times per day, so if she is sleeping that much she is probably not eating enough, and your supply has probably started to dwindle. So feed her as much and as often as she wants, at least every 2 - 3 hours. And don't start formula without consulting your pediatrician first. 

Name: jillw | Date: Jun 16th, 2007 4:47 AM
they are very very sleep at first, but that wears off. They will do the 2-3 hrs thing for a while and then edventually usually after they are 11+ pounds they will start to sleep longer like 5-8 hrs at night with out waking up for a bottle. Also she will go through growth spurts where she will eat all the time. It is natures way of increasing you supply because she will soon be eating more or longer at one feeding. If will happen several times the first few months. It does not mean that your milk is not enough at all. If you plan to keep breast feeding exclusivally then do not offer her anything in addition to the breast, or your supply will not increase the way she need it to. Breast mily is replinished in a supply and demand basis so let her eat when she needs to unless your doctor advises you otherwise. 

Name: lil_dancer77 | Date: Jun 16th, 2007 4:51 AM
thank you so much for your advice! doc said its ok to give her a bit of formula if she is still wnting somethng else but i do want to continue brest feeding. I feel so in the dark with whats the best to do, but i know everyone feels that was with there first bub.
Good to know she should be wanting the breast often! i was worried she was not getting enough. 

Name: jillw | Date: Jun 16th, 2007 5:01 AM
I think that all breast feeding mothers feel like that. It is understandable though since you can't really see how much the baby is getting. What you can do is let her feed form one side, burp her, let her feed form the other side. If she is still acting fussy give her a passy, because she may jsut want to suck and she will weare you nipples out like that. If she is really hungry still then put her back on the first breast. You body is constantly making mild, so even if she drank it dry, by the time she is back on the first breast some milk will ahve been replenished. Keep it up and believe me you will know for sure if she is not getting enough. She will be very unhappy even after eating for 30+ min. she will not have many wet dips and she will not gain weight. 

Name: lil_dancer77 | Date: Jun 16th, 2007 5:04 AM
She feeds for about 25 mins on each..then i give her her dummy she is not to fussed on them yet but at times she will suck it really well..she loves to suck her wrist lol.. I think im just being paranoid. I think becasue she ws sleeping so much and now her pattern is changing i just got a bit worried. but if its totally normal thats really good to know. Liv burps really well and her naps are always wet after a feed so thats a good sign. Thank you so very much you have put my mind at ease! 

Copyright 2024© babycrowd.com. All rights reserved.
Contact Us | About Us | Browse Journals | Forums | Advertise With Us